defined as "the indomitable spirit passed on through generations of Sweet ancestors."

Thursday, October 10, 2024

On the Road Again


(Thursday, October 10, 2024 - Vila Praia de Ancora, Portugal) It felt good to be back on the Camino today. After yesterday’s high winds and rain, today was such a reprieve with sunshine and temps in the 50’s. We headed north out of Viana do Costello toward Vila Praia de Ancora, another lovely small town right on the coast. I was energized by the  beautiful weather. 

Today’s path took us thru narrow cobblestone alleys. After 5 km (3 mi) my pulled muscle screamed “no more”.

I was sorely disappointed and frustrated because I had lots of energy left. Fortunately Bolt (the European alternative to Uber) drivers are willing to drive down rocky roads in the middle of nowhere to pick up riders. I left Greta and Eva to walk the remaining 8 or so miles and I proceeded to our hotel. I checked out the entire shopping district comprised of about 1 city block, had lunch at the pizzeria, looked for a post office and failed to find one. 




Lots of  rain anticipated in the coming days. We will follow our trusted waymarkers of yellow spray-painted arrows and more than occasional friendly Portuguese offering directions when we look lost. And tomorrow, I hope to manage five miles on my bum leg. Bom Camino  

PS. It is strange to feel the effects of one hurricane in Portugal while another is wreaking havoc at home is the US. My thoughts were constantly with my friends in Florida as Milton caused such destruction. Our encounter here was a mere minor inconvenience by comparison.

 





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the updates. Will the weather be better since Kirk is gone or is it a rainy time of year?

    ReplyDelete