defined as "the indomitable spirit passed on through generations of Sweet ancestors."

Monday, October 7, 2024

And we’re off.


(Sunday, Oct. 6 - Labruge, Portugal) Greta arrived yesterday afternoon. After dinner at Vaccarum, a very beefy restaurant in Central Porto, we turned in early anticipating a very tiring next day. 

Day 1 - This morning we started with Starbucks. This was a novelty for Greta because there are no Starbucks in Riga. We then headed to the Porto Cathedral again to get her Pilgrim Passport. Then a Bolt took us to Matisinhos where we officially began our pilgrimage. 


It rained. And it rained. Not really a downpour, but pretty constant drizzle or more. For some reason it didn’t really seem to matter. The temp was mild and no wind. I just felt as tho I’d stepped out of the shower, all day long. A view of the Atlantic was always on our left. The walk was pretty easy on the boardwalk, but always concern for falling as it was slippery in spots. 


I am a slow walker, especially compared to Greta and Eva. So my day was  essentially solo, with the two of them way in front. My feet really began to ache at about 8 km. We stopped for brunch just about halfway to Labruge, our final destination. Total walk today was 15 km or 9 miles. I am thrilled to have no blisters. My goal tomorrow is to lighten my backpack considerably. We will accomplish another 14-15 km tomorrow before the big day on Tuesday with about 26 km. 

Dinner tonight was lucky. Only one restaurant in Labruge was open, so we thought. Turns out it was closed. Luckily Zogo Take Out Pizza across the street was open. Order from an outdoor window.  Best pizza I’ve had in a long time. And an excellent bottle of wine. 

Tomorrow — destination Povoa var Zim.  Buom Camino. 

1 comment:

  1. If the rest is this easy, this is gonna be a piece of cake for you. BTW, I love your hat. Very appropriate style for where you are. Vaya con Dios!!

    ReplyDelete